There once was a time long, long ago when I believed in jarred Alfredo sauce. I get it, I do, it’s super convenient to just go to your local grocery store and pick up some Bertolli (or whatever brand) and throw it over some fettuccine. I’m here to tell you that you are seriously missing out. Nothing tastes better than homemade Alfredo sauce. And, not to mention, its so easy to make! It’s also relatively cheap. Once you switch to homemade, you’ll never go back.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 6 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Add milk, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out the lumps. Stir in Parmesan and pepper.
- Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long.
- To serve, toss with hot pasta.